Reflections of Creation

One of the greatest things that God has given humans is the ability to see beauty in the world around us. I have never noticed my dog stop and stare at the beauty of a forest or the incredible colors of a sunset, but these things have the ability to stop me in my tracks in wonder and awe. This website is my attempt to capture some of the beauty and glory of an indescribable God by capturing reflections of Him that I see in His creation.

Search

a great night

Tonight is a great night. The chai is hot, and the night air is cool which sets a nice mood. While my days have been tough over the last couple of weeks, there is something relaxing about sitting down with a hot cup of tea or coffee and listening to some great music. Let me tell you about what I am listening to tonight.

Ten years ago, I heard my first Switchfoot album and loved it. They are a rock band who wrote smart songs about following Jesus which I found refreshing. A couple of cds later, and their lyrics were cryptic and I found myself not enjoying their music as much. Last year, the band broke from their record label, and they went independent which freed them up to do things they couldn't do with a label. One of those is to release solo albums.

Today (I'm writing this on tuesday night), their lead songwriter and singer, Jon Foreman, released his second of four eps based upon the four seasons (eps are shortened albums-around six songs or so). So far, these first two eps are awesome! I love a good folksy kind of feel with thought provoking lyrics, and that's what these are. Foreman said these are too intimate for a rock band, and he does a great job of incorporating instruments like oboes and harmonicas and clarinets into a folksy type of sound which I love. Since he is trying to capture the feel of each season, some of the songs in Winter deal with sad topics like death, but I can't wait to hear what his lyrics will be like for Spring and Summer.

I am telling you this because I think most of you would really enjoy this series of eps. This music is melancholy sounding, and the lyrics are very real. At times, they border on depressing, but I also love how Foreman sings about God in a way I haven't seen in many years (which is refreshing to me). Everyone who reads this is required to go to his myspace (here) and listen to his song, White as Snow, a mesmerizing song with great guitar harmonics with lyrics taken straight from Psalms 51. Really really good stuff. I think 90% of you reading this will really love this (90% works out to 3 of you).

So, in honor of his guitar work, I present mine. Now if only my playing was as pretty...



3 responses

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
  • Dave said so, on

    Hey Dan and Christi, I think both of you would really love his music, so I really hope you guys check it out.

    I actually just realized something: all three of us can play guitar at least a little bit. That's weird that all three of us learned as adults totally independent of each other. That's kinda cool. Christi, are you still learning?

    top
  • Alison Bryant said so, on

    That's a great picture of that guitar. Makes me see it in a different light. It's always been pretty, but you have a way of making people see things differently...and not just with photos.
    The music is great. I'm glad you found it so we can have it!

    top
  • Christi said so, on

    LOL...I got so distracted yesterday by his gorgeous music that I forgot to comment. You're right Dave...his stuff is awesome!!

    I love the photo of the guitar too...so artsy...I see it hanging in a coffee bar somewhere.

    No, I haven't played the guitar in a while...we had a conflict around here about it so I decided that it may be better for me to step away...that and the fact that my pregnant belly was getting in the way of holding it. LOL!
    smiles!

    top


the most important part of this website

I enjoy photography and I always find myself wanting more time to be outside with a camera. The idea of posting my pictures was born out of the love for my wife, Alison (alisonbryantwrites.com), who hates it when I do not take my days off. This website, reflections of creation, is a way to force me to get out of the office from time to time and putting me outside where I love to be. While a creative outlet for me, I hope this is an encouraging site for you, and one which helps point you to the Creator of all this beauty around us. God is so much bigger and amazing than we could ever imagine, and He loves you and me! What an amazing thought! He loves us so much that He was even willing to let His son, Jesus, die as a sacrifice for us. That fact is more beautiful than any picture you will see on this website. I hope you know Jesus, but if you do not, please email me or go to www.needHim.org. Thanks again for coming and stop by again soon.

Theme Modified by Sandeep Gupta and licenced under MIT License

Reflections of Creation | feed

5ThirtyOne and Blogger Templates design | Top